Saturday, February 8, 2014

"Remove the thought from your mind of expecting God to come to force you or to plead with you. When our Lord called His disciples, He did it without irresistible pressure from the outside. The quiet, yet passionate insistence of His "Follow Me" was spoken to men whose every sense was receptive."
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

After traveling all over Italy with a heavy backpack on my back, yummy gluten filled pasta in my stomach, and  a Kate the Great travel buddy, I definitely welcomed the warm weather in Soroti, Uganda. Kate and I stayed there for a week helping our friends Amy and Susan with their ministry, Yesu Asobola Mininstry. We had so much fun taking pictures of all the kids in one specific village so they can receive sponsorships to afford school every year. The 5ish days we were in Soroti were great  but I was really anticipating going to Jinja so when Kate and I finally got to Amani, it was a huge relief.

It's definitely different this year than the last. The volunteers are different (but equally as awesome) and we now live above the orphanage which doesn't involve much interaction with any shoe eating dogs luckily but we do have a very confused rooster who we hear at all hours of the night and throughout the day. I think the biggest difference though are the kids... Who are almost the same exact kids as last time plus or minus a few that were reunited with their families or adopted. The difference is the fact that I know them now. I know their names, I remember some things they like or dislike, I know some of their reading levels, behaviors, etc. When I came last time, I saw orphans. When I left, I saw my precious kids. When I came this time, I saw my cottage A boys and it was like I never left.

I see individuals, not a herd of kids screaming to be held. Every child is unique and has different preferences. They're no assembly line. Feed, wash, teach, read a story, shoes on, push on swing, etc. It becomes difficult to not go through the motions, especially at bedtime. But how can it be an assembly line if each child was made in the image and likeness of God? One child needs his shark slippers on no matter if he's sweating profusely in his flannel pajamas already. One child needs Eskimo and butterfly kisses at night or else it's going to be one rough night for everyone else. Kids are funny. They know exactly what they want and don't want and they WILL be heard when things don't go according to their plan. The problem is, when there's 14 boys who have their own idea of the perfect plan, there's chaos. Yet, each one needs to be heard. Each one needs to be catered to (not too much of course). Each one would do a lot better if they had a family and I pray that they all will have a loving family one day. So, we do the best we can. The Ugandan adoption system is definitely on African time and I just pray that everything speeds up because these children are growing up before my very eyes. It's amazing how much kids grow in a year both physically and mentally. Please pray with me that these kids always get the love they deserve and a speedy process towards adoption.

I'll try to write more blogs! Sorry for a late start to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment